Facts about Abraham Lincoln
15. He was born on February 12th 1809, and died April 15th 1865 at the age of fifty six.
14. He was the only president to have a patent: Lincoln invented a device to free steamboats that ran aground.
13. Lincoln is enshrined in the Wrestling Hall of Fame.
12. Abraham Lincoln was the 16th president of the United States.
11. He practiced law without a degree. Lincoln had about 18 months of formal schooling.
10. In 1818 Abraham Lincoln nearly died after being kicked in the head by a horse.
9. Lincoln lost five separate elections before being elected president.
8. Lincoln served on the Illinois State Legislature for several terms. During that time he studied the law and began to work as a lawyer. He ran for the U.S. Congress in 1845. He won the election and served as a congressman for one term.
7. His sister, Sarah, was born on February 10, 1807 and died in childbirth on January 20, 1828, along with her child. His brother Thomas died in infancy in 1812.
6. Although Abraham Lincoln and his wife Mary Todd Lincoln produced four sons, there are no living descendants today.
5. His party was Republican and he was president for four years from 1861-1865, when he was assassinated.
4. He preserved the Union during the U.S. Civil War and brought about the emancipation of slaves.
3. He wanted women to have the vote in 1836.
2. Lincoln created the Secret Service hours before his assassination.
1. He was a big animal lover, but he wouldn’t hunt or fish.